The CIEE India: Arts & Sciences in Hyderabad is a supported enrollment program based at the University of Hyderabad and is offered during the fall, spring and academic year. The program is designed to enhance your knowledge of India from interdisciplinary perspectives. Situated at the gateway between northern and southern India, Hyderabad's location ensures that you gain insight into the linguistic, religious, and cultural diversity of the region--in a city undergoing massive physical and cultural transformation due to India's rapid ascension in the global economy. You live with host families or in a dormitory.
You take at least four courses while in Hyderabad.
- Hindi (multiple levels available)
- One course (at least) at the University of Hyderabad
- One to two courses through the Study in India Program (courses for international students)
The university offers a range of courses in the humanities and social sciences. Some science and engineering may also be available. The courses are primarily lecture based at the university, though some courses do encourage more seminar style class discussions.
Students can choose from two different housing options, both of which include meals:
Tagore International House—The Tagore International House provides furnished, air conditioned single and double occupancy rooms on the University of Hyderabad campus. The cuisine is mostly Indian, though some western food items are also available. As Tagore International House is 1.8 miles from the central campus, students typically ride bicycles or walk to class each morning and evening.
Homestays— The homestay option is best if you prefer to live with a local family to connect with those in the community.
Review eligibility to ensure that you meet all Columbia requirements to study abroad.
Review the external program webpage to understand any additional program prerequisites.
To apply, you must complete the two steps below. Deadlines vary and some applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Therefore, you should complete the steps below simultaneously:
- To apply for Columbia clearance (approval) to study abroad, click on "Start Your Application" on this webpage. Clearance applications are approved on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this webpage.
- To apply for program admission, complete an external application directly on the program webpage. Note that this deadline may be in advance of the Columbia clearance deadline.