Columbia College is one of 12 institutions nationwide selected to receive the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation’s Beckman Scholars Program Award to support outstanding undergraduate researchers in biology and chemistry. In a partner program, the College is matching this support with its Columbia College Science Scholars Program.
Beckman and Columbia College Science Scholars will receive:
- Up to $18,200 over the course of two summers and an academic year
- Up to $2,800 travel and research fund
- Opportunities to present their research to program faculty, attend networking events with other scholars and faculty, and attend workshops related to professional development as scientists
- All Scholars are required to present their summer research in poster format at the Undergraduate Research Showcase, which takes place early in the fall semester. In preparation for this event, Beckman Scholars submit to the Beckman Faculty Chair an abstract summarizing the results of the research conducted during the summer or the preceding academic year. Columbia College Research Scholars submit abstracts to their faculty mentors for approval. Like the original proposal, the abstract should be placed in the context of some broader scientific issue, but focused on the specifics of the project and conclusions of the research, even if those are provisional or tentative. Scholars are expected to have incorporated editorial advice from their mentors before submission.
Questions about the program should be directed to Ariella Lang, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs.
All applicants must
be current first-year or second-year undergraduate students in Columbia College intending to major in or majoring in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, chemical physics, biophysics, or neuroscience and behavior
have a cumulative GPA in all courses of at least 3.5
be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or its possessions
- commit to performing undergraduate research related to their major during summer 2018 (ten 40-hour weeks), the 2018-2019 academic year (at least 10 hours per week), and summer 2019 (ten 40-hour weeks) in one of the labs of the Beckman and Columbia College Science Scholars faculty, which are:
- Visit the URF database to access an application.
- The deadline for submission is Friday, March 8, 2019.
- For questions or issues with the application please email Undergraduate Research and Fellowships.
Early March - Initial Applications should be submitted online.
Mid- to late March – Faculty selection committee decisions finalized
Additional Program Information
- Students who have applied to or have committed funding from other Columbia-based or external research programs are still eligible to apply to this program.
- Questions about either program should be directed to Ariella Lang, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs.