Study in Cameroon, a nation that is home to more than 200 ethnic groups and even more local languages and dialects. You will learn how Cameroonians are striving to strengthen a shared cultural heritage and bolster national political and economic cohesion while preserving diversity in the face of globalization and the country’s socioeconomic needs. You will also be able to learn alongside Cameroonian university students. While French language skills are tremendously helpful in advance, they are not required to apply to the program.
You will take a number of courses while abroad that focus on the following topics:
- Modernization and Social Change in Cameroon
- Development Studies
- French (various levels available)
- Research Ethics and Methods
- Independent Study Project
The SIT Cameroon program is unique amongst SIT programs in that local Cameroonian students fully participate in the program with the study abroad students.
You spend several weeks in a number of different homestays throughout Cameroon. In addition, SIT provides a one-week excursion to visit France as part of the program to learn more about development and immigration. SIT programs involve learning about different aspects of the culture through a hands-on approach. With this in mind, the program involves multiple excursions to places such as Dschang and Kribi. You spend the last month of the program conducting independent research.
Review eligibility to ensure that you meet all Columbia requirements to study abroad.
Review the external program webpage to understand any additional program prerequisites. Note the program language requirements.
To apply, you must complete the two steps below. Deadlines vary and some applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Therefore, you should complete the steps below simultaneously:
- To apply for Columbia clearance (approval) to study abroad, click on "Start Your Application" on this webpage. Clearance applications are approved on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this webpage.
- To apply for program admission, complete an external application directly on the program webpage. Note that this deadline may be in advance of the Columbia clearance deadline.