Acquire an intersectional understanding of the complexities and paradoxes that surround issues of gender and sexuality in the Netherlands — commonly believed to be one of the world’s most progressive and tolerant countries. The program examines the intersections of gender and sexuality with race, class, and religion and highlights the experiences of the growing number of individuals living in these intersections. It interrogates how identity is affected by gender, sexuality, race, religion, and class, both as they are experienced and as they are perceived. During the program, students connect with different communities within the Netherlands; an excursion to Morocco provides additional international perspectives on program themes. Students live primarily in homestays.
Previous college-level coursework or other preparation in sexuality and/or gender studies is encouraged. Past courses have included:
- Migration, Gender, and Sexuality
- Theory and Application of Feminist, Lesbigay, and Queer Studies
- Research Methods and Ethics
- Independent Study Project
SIT takes students on a wide variety of educational excursions to complement the coursework.
Students live with a homestay family in Amsterdam for 12 weeks. Hosts include LGBT households, single parents, and traditional families, all of whom offer unique insights into issues of sexuality and gender within a Dutch or international context.
Students spend two weeks in Morocco to examine the issue of sexuality and gender in a modern and Islamic society.
Review eligibility to ensure that you meet all Columbia requirements to study abroad.
Review the external program webpage to understand any additional program prerequisites.
To apply, you must complete the two steps below. Deadlines vary and some applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Therefore, you should complete the steps below simultaneously:
- To apply for Columbia clearance (approval) to study abroad, click on "Start Your Application" on this webpage. Clearance applications are approved on a rolling basis until the application deadline listed on this webpage.
- To apply for program admission, complete an external application directly on the program webpage. Note that this deadline may be in advance of the Columbia clearance deadline.