The Center for Undergraduate Global Engagement (UGE) offers the Global Learning Scholarships (GLS) to support Columbia students so they may enhance their undergraduate education by participating in a summer global learning opportunity.
May fund a portion of the program tuition charges or be provided as a stipend that covers out-of-pocket expenses.
May cover work exemption to replace the student contribution for financial aid recipients during the academic year following the summer program.
Eligibility and Programs
You are eligible for the Global Learning Scholarships (GLS) if you are:
A Columbia College, Columbia Engineering, or General Studies student who demonstrates financial need
All other students are not eligible for the GLS
The following Columbia-Led summer programs are eligible for the Global Learning Scholarships:
Application and Timeline
Students apply for the Global Learning Scholarship (GLS) and the Columbia-Led summer program with two separate applications through the Center for Undergraduate Global Engagement (UGE).
- Scholarship applications are due: February 15, 2024 (closes at 11:59 pm EST)
- GLS applicants must also submit a completed program application by the program application deadline OR no later than the following: February 15, 2024 (closes at 11:59 pm EST)
Students will be notified of the GLS awards before they need to submit deposits to confirm participation in the programs.
Applying for a GLS does not impact admissions decisions to the program.
Thank you to the Columbia alumni, parents, and friends for their generosity in supporting the Global Learning Scholarships that fund undergraduate students to participate in a summer global learning experience.
For Columbia College students:
- Beesen Travel Scholarship for students studying in France
- Global Learning Scholarship Fund for students participating in a summer study abroad program
- Ishizuka Global Fellowship in East Asian Studies for students studying Japanese language and culture abroad
- KUMA/Kuznetsov Work Exemption Fund for students participating in a summer study abroad program
- The Valentini Endowment for students participating in a summer study abroad program
For College College, Columbia Engineering, and General Studies:
- Global Learning Scholarship Program Fund for students participating in a summer study abroad program
- Zhou Family Fund for first-year students participating in a summer study abroad program
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to receive financial aid at Columbia during the academic year to apply for the GLS?
GLS is a need-based scholarship. Generally, students are on financial aid at Columbia but students with extenuating circumstances are eligible to apply.
If I apply, am I guaranteed to receive the GLS award?
It is not guaranteed that all applicants will be awarded funding due to the limited amount of funding available.
Will the GLS cover the full cost of participation?
The GLS will not cover the full cost of participation. The average award may range from $2000 to $5000 depending on the applications received and available funding.
Please check the program webpage for more information about the cost of participation. Students will need to plan accordingly.
Where can I find information about other scholarships?
Please check the Financial Considerations section on your Columbia-Led program’s website for location-specific and other scholarship opportunities.
Will the GLS scholarship affect my Columbia financial aid?
To understand whether the scholarship will impact your financial aid status at Columbia, please consult with your school’s financial aid officer.
Can the GLS be applied to programs not offered by Columbia?
The GLS cannot be used to cover tuition or other expenses for programs not offered by Columbia.
The GLS can be applied towards the Columbia $750 study abroad fee for programs outside of Columbia. You can apply to those programs through the UGE Summer Petition | Columbia-Approved Programs or Columbia-Affiliated Programs.