Columbia undergraduates have the opportunity to take courses for the Core Curriculum abroad. The information below provides information regarding Core classes on both Columbia-Led and Columbia-Approved Programs. Please consult the Academic Credit page of the Center for Undergraduate Global Engagement (UGE) website for general reminders regarding getting credit from abroad.
Art Humanities and Music Humanities
Two Columbia-Led Summer Programs provide the opportunity to take Art Humanities and Music Humanities together.
- Columbia Summer Core in Berlin: Art Humanities and Music Humanities
- Columbia Summer Core in Paris: Art Humanities and Music Humanities
During the academic year, the Columbia in Paris program has in the past offered either Art Humanities or Music Humanities during the semester. While the course is taught in English, please note that the program requires proficiency in French language. For updated information about Art Humanities or Music Humanities availability, please visit the Columbia in Paris program website.
Many of the Columbia-Led Programs have offered pre-approved classes that have counted toward the Global Core requirement. Please visit the program website for updated information regarding course availability.
Semester or Academic Year Programs:
- Columbia in Paris (please note language requirement for the program)
- Columbia in London
- Columbia in Venice
You can petition the Global Core Committee for a local university course taken on a Columbia-Led Program using this form.
Summer Programs that currently offer a Global Core course:
Summer Programs that previously offered a Global Core course:
- Columbia Summer in Amman and Tunis: Middle Eastern and North African Studies
- Columbia Summer in Mexico City: Colonization and Decolonization
- Columbia Summer in Venice
You can petition the Global Core Committee for any course to count for Global Core on any Columbia-Approved Programs using this form.
Courses on the following programs have been previously approved for Global Core. Please connect with your UGE adviser to discuss courses previously approved on these programs. Note: given the breadth of courses offered at the universities and programs below, it is not guaranteed that a course previously approved for Global Core credit will be available for the semester in which you plan to study abroad.
- CASA at Trinity College Dublin
- CIEE Ghana: Arts and Sciences in Legon
- CIEE South Africa: University of Cape Town
- CIEE Spain: Advanced Liberal Arts in Barcelona
- Hebrew University
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST)
- IFSA in Australia: University of Melbourne
- IFSA in Australia: University of New South Wales
- IFSA in Australia: University of Sydney
- IFSA in New Zealand: University of Auckland
- IFSA in New Zealand: University of Otago
- Queen Mary University of London
- School for Oriental and African Studies (SOAS)
- SIT Argentina: Transnationalism and Comparative Development in South America
- Tel Aviv University
- University College London
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Hong Kong
The Science Requirement
The Summer Ecosystem Experiences for Undergraduates (SEE-U) programs consists of a set of courses that fulfill the Science Requirement. Please visit the program website for more information.
You can petition for a course to count for the Science Requirement on any Columbia-Led or Columbia-Approved Programs using this form.